Ondangwa is one of the oldest historic towns in the North Central Regions of the country. The town was established as a missionary center in 18’s. Later in the years the town was used as a center of assembly for the majority of the people in the north who used to travel to Ondangwa in order to look for employment in the Southern towns, including South African mines in the late 1950’ and 1960’s.
Due to its central location, the town was later used by the South African Army as their administrative center up until independence. Ondangwa continued to be an administrative center from independence until 1992 when the new regional structure was designed by the current government. At independence, Ondangwa was proclaimed as a town in 1992 under the Ministry of Regional Local Government and Housing and become an autonomous town in 1998. Currently the town has seven elected councilors and between 70 full time staff members, headed by the Chief Executive Officer.
Ondangwa is located in the North Central Regions which are the most populated areas in the country. Ondangwa is strategically located at the focal point of many economical activities in the region. This beautiful town is situated on the main road to and from the North, with an Airport and a train station and it is only 60 km from the Namibia – Angola border.
Ondangwa town caters for more than half of the population of Oshana and Oshikoto regions in terms of shopping and other vital services. The town has a population of about 23000 residents according to the Namibia Population and Housing Census of 2011 , but this figures double during the day as many people come for shopping and other services in town from the nearby villages.